2012 has been a fantastic year for YolanDa Brown.
She says, "For everyone who has supported my project this year by coming to a concert, buying my music, sharing one of my clips, etc... Thank you.
To my band and team, to every journalist that has interviewed me and all the media houses that have featured me... Thank you.
I am so grateful for everything that happened in 2012 and all the doors that opened. I can't wait to get back on the road in 2013 - Thanks for supporting my dream!" YolanDa Brown
Please find below a quick look at some of YolanDa Brown's highlights of 2012...
Photo:left to right -Mike Ketley (Yamaha’s UK Managing director); YolanDa Brown (Saxophonist);
Trevor Jones (Head of Coventry Performing Arts) and Mike Weatherley MP.
In January the Yamaha Education team, accompanied by 36 Class Band students from schools in Coventry together with their teachers; made the journey to Westminster to present to the ‘All Party Parliamentary Group on Music Education’.
The invitation to present to this group had been extended by Mike Weatherley MP, who chairs this All Party group. Yamaha Artist YolanDa Brown who is currently the official Class Band Ambassador - was able to emphasise how important learning to play an intrument can be and added her endorsement of the project to date.
What a month February was...
- YolanDa Brown released her debut Album - "April Showers May Flowers".
- Headlined 2 nights at the HMV Apollo accompanied by the Royal Philharmonic Concert Orchestra conducted by Robert Ziegler with Special guests; Ian Shaw, Jacqui Dankworth, Omar, Phebe Edwards and Mike Aremu.
Ian Shaw and YolanDa Brown
The BIGGEST surprise of the night was the on stage proposal by YolanDa Brown's pianist Oscar to his long term partner... she said YES!
Robert Ziegler and the Royal Philharmonic Concert Orchestra
- YolanDa Brown appeared on BBC Radio 4 Woman's hour and then flew to the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona to play for the directors of HP...
Listen back here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00p5n3q
In March, YolanDa toured Scotland with her band. It was a fantastic turnout and audience...
Check out the sizzling review in the Evening Express below.
Thank you Scotland...
Loads happened in April...
- A fantastic highlight was "April Showers May Flowers" going to No1 on both the iTunes and Amazon Jazz Charts. Thank you for taking YolanDa Brown to the Top of the Jazz Charts.
YolanDa said, "I am really grateful for all the support from the public. It is always rewarding to see your music embraced... I just want to say a massive Thank You to everyone and there is plenty more to come".
- YolanDa also appeared on BBC Breakfast in April.
Please click here to watch the interview back on the BBC Breakfast Website:
The Month of May saw YolanDa perform an acoustic session as well as get interviewed by M magazine for the PRS:
Watch Interview and Dear John performance here:
Watch TokYo Sunset performance here:
- YolanDa Brown became an Ambassador for Pop4Schools and appeared in Music week as well as Western Morning News prior to her gig at the Hall for Cornwall.
Check out more info on Pop4Schools here:
YolanDa Brown played at the Glasgow Jazz Festival in June and had a fab write up in the Herald.
July was a really hectic month for YolanDa.
- YolanDa Brown played at the House of Commons for Summer Jazz In Portcullis House, she performed before a packed crowd of parliamentarians and jazz industry faces in the Atlee Suite.
Summer Jazz is hosted by the All Party Parliamentary Jazz Appreciation Group and PPL, and the Yamaha Jazz Scholars, now in its sixth year, is run in association with PPL and Jazzwise.
- YolanDa was invited to play a private gig for the Jamaican Olympics squad, including Usain Bolt and Kerron Stewart, whilst they trained at the University of Birmingham.
Sports mad Brown was born in East London and her parents are of Jamaican descent. The team all loved her music and she can add the Jamaica team to her long list of fans!
- A 2000 capacity crowd in Queretaro, Mexico welcomed YolanDa and her band for her debut concert there.
- Brecon Jazz Festival was amazing for YolanDa as she played to a sold out crowd.
She was also involved in the London 2012 Festival Pop up gig with Wunderbrass.
- YolanDa Brown plays at the opening of Reidys. The largest music superstore outside London, with one of the largest guitar walls in the world.
- Imperial Wharf Jazz Festival welcome back YolanDa Brown. She last played at the Festival in 2009.
- YolanDa Brown appeared in The Guardian and Music Week
Read review by John Fordham here: http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2012/sep/20/yolanda-brown-april-sho...
On Tuesday 16 October, young saxophone players from across London attended a workshop delivered by double MOBO Award-Winning jazz saxophonist YolanDa Brown in the Royal Albert Hall’s Elgar Room.
This workshop was part of the Royal Albert Hall’s Education programme which works with children, teachers, families and community groups to deliver exciting opportunities linked to the Hall’s events programme.
As the end of the year fast approached, YolanDa Brown really enjoyed November.
- Women in Jazz was part of the London Jazz Festival offering in November 2012 at the Hideaway in Streatham. The gig was on Saturday 10th November and it was a sell out.
The line up of musicians included:
YolanDa Brown - Tenor Sax, Sophie Alloway - Drums, Julie Walkington - Bass, Laura Jurd - Trumpet, Andrea Vicari - Keys/Piano & MD, Janette Mason - Keys/Piano & MD, Annie Whitehead - Trombone and with special Guest Vocalist Natalie Williams.
- YolanDa Brown along with Delilah were in Liverpool to present the MOBO Awards for Best Jazz to Zoe Rahman live on the BBC. YolanDa also had the great pleasure of meeting Dionne Warwick...
- YolanDa Brown was invited in late November to meet the Prime Minister David Cameron at the SOLA reception taking place at 10 Downing Street.
- The Elgar Room at the Royal Albert Hall was Sold Out 8 weeks before the night for YolanDa Brown's concert there. Thanks so much for coming out... It was a great night and amazing energy from the band and audience in equal measure.
- YolanDa Brown was featured in The Independent Newspaper. You can Read Online here: http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/features/yola...
- YolanDa Brown performed at the Spirit of London Awards at the O2 Arena
- In Coventry, YolanDa Brown and Yamaha held workshops with students from 2 Schools as part of the Yamaha Class Band initiative...
Thank you so much for reading through a recap of some of YolanDa Brown's 2012 highlights.
We really appreciate all of you who have supported YolanDa Brown this year.
Thanks to the Evening Standard, Metro, The Voice, Times, Independent, Express, Guardian, Pride, Black Beauty, etc... as well as all the other TV, Radio and Print press who have featured YolanDa Brown in 2012.
2013 is an extremely exciting year... stay with us and continue to be a part of the journey!
Add a Comment